Thursday, August 5, 2010

An Inadequacy Shared by Neurosurgeons

It's difficult to keep things straight. Despite a binder overflowing with details, facts and figures, important information is still lost in translation (or transcription). When I read the interviews of some of my favorite writers (Writer's Digest Magazine), it sometimes seems like things come easy to them-- that they have something I don't have.

For whatever reason, inadequacy is something all writers feel at one point or another. This might seem like an inappropriate blanket statement, too much of a generalization. Well, sorry to say, it's true. It's not only writers. I'm sure neurosurgeons feel it, too. Am I doing the right thing? Is this what I'm supposed to be doing? Will I ever succeed? And... what happens if I don't?" For people who have other careers and write on the side, there is some underlying hope... a plan B if the writing doesn't work out. For Creative Writing Majors (who have no interest in journalism or teaching in any capacity) there is no plan B. You either make it, or you don't. Either tuition money was well spent, or it was horribly wasted.

When I sit down at my computer, thoughts circle in my head. Who would read this? This is horrible. I can't write. And who knows? Maybe these thoughts are the truth. But in the unlikely event that they are completely false, I'm going to be there to scream "BOOYAH" at the top of my lungs from the nearest rooftop.

No comments:

Post a Comment