Thursday, October 28, 2010

Even death may die - H.P. Lovecraft


"That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die."

- "The Call of Cthulhu", H.P. Lovecraft

For my Writing the Literary Novel class last year, we had to write to one of our peers at the end of the semester. This person had to be the one whose writing we enjoyed the most. My classmate Ryan compared me to a man named Lovecraft, who I'd only heard of in the vaguest of ways. Today I went to Twice Sold Tales (owned by Jim Logan) in downtown Farmington, Maine in search of one of his books. There was only one copy in the entire store, and I snapped it up for $3.50! I read the first few sections while waiting for my fiance to get out of a meeting, and I loved it. I can't believe it took me 20 years to discover Howard Philip Lovecraft!

His life was sadly short, but full of meaningful friendships, though some only flowered through the writing of letters (it is said that he penned 100,000 letters in his 46 year life). Both parent's died of insanity (or at least in insane asylums after surgeries) and he lived a lonely life swathed in dreary and chilling stories. He was a visionary, and someone I intend to look up to from now on. More on him later! Time for dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment