Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Change of Plan, NaNoWriMo, and George Eliot

Wednesday is the busiest day of my week. I'm up at 7:30AM, out of the house by 8:45AM and don't return until after 4 in the afternoon. Yet, now at 4:16PM on a Wednesday, I feel the need to blog my little heart out. Perhaps it's guilt at having neglected "Abyssopelagic" in the past, but more likely I want to satisfy my vanity by imagining someone actually reads these posts. This blog began as a chronicle of my character, Daniel, as he navigated the murder of his sister, and joined in the investigation to catch her killer. Through out the process of discovering Dan, I discovered a personal fascination with crime, criminals and criminal psychology that I didn't know I had, hence the change in the purpose of this forum. Now, I'm working on the idea that by investigating and blogging on various crimes, I'll learn more about what crime really is and how criminals really think, as well as how I feel about each case. Maybe this idea will completely ruin this blog, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who reads it anyway.

On another note, I've entered the NaNoWriMo contest. November is apparently National Novel Writing Month, and the challenge is to write 50,000 words (12,500 words/week --- 6 days a week = 2,083 words/day) from November 1 through November 30, 2010 (though it does commence every year). Because I've reached approximately 70,000 words in my novel thus far, I've decided to aim to ADD 50,000 words. Hopefully, this challenge keeps me motivated!

Since reading Middlemarch, by George Eliot (pseudonym for Mary Ann Evans), for my English Novel class, I've decided that I absolutely LOVE her style. In fact, I can't recall ever reading anything so fantastic. I went into it with a bad attitude because I hated Silas Marner with a fiery passion. Middlemarch left Silas in the dust. Now I have this crazy idea about abandoning Daniel for a more "Dorothea" kind of character... can't really make Daniel a "later born Theresa"...

No comments:

Post a Comment